Monday, June 8, 2009

How the Garden is Doing..

I have to say this gardening season has been the most interesting. This year I have blueberry bushes and grape vines, but very little corn. Giant pumpkins but no white pumpkins growing in the hedges. The birds are extra hungry. So are the bugs.
Here are some pictures to update you:


The Garden Inspector: Grandma Nance


Lots and lots of sweet basil


The Giant pumpkin who is not so giant quite yet.


The blooms on my cinnamon basil


The newest edition to the garden. I had a lot of trouble with this plot because the birds decided it was fun (and tasty) to dig up all of my corn, lima bean, and sunflower seeds. Oh well, now we have a total of 19 tomato plants. That's the most I've ever had. I'm excited to see how they turn out.
We have quite the variety in this plot. We have roma, pink brandywine (heirloom), german queen (heirloom), celebrity, and Mr. stripey (heirloom)


Red Sunflowers in the front yard are doing awesome!


We have sunflowers galore. I forget what kind these are. The could be Mammoth or the mixture I bought.


These are the same sunflowers. I wanted to show just how many there are in this spot.


These are a different set, and I'm still not sure what kind they are. I guess I'll have to wait till they bloom.


Zucchini & lettuce


The broccoli my mom put in. I didn't really want to grow these but now I adore them. The leaves have a cool (as in temperature) feel to them even when the sun is beating down on them.


Spinach


The tomatoes are staked and producing tiny fruit.
Bush Goliath has two medium-sized green tomatoes.


Lots of tomatoes. These are big boy, I believe. Bush Goliath and a yellow cherry tomato (the one attached to the small white pole) are also squeezed in there. I have so many now it's tough keeping them straight. Also, the garden fish is peaking through.


We probably have as many (if not more) peppers than the tomatoes. We have banana, yellow, orange, and green bells.





"I'm not really a career person. I'm a gardener, basically."-- George Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment