Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The C3 Community Garden

Okay, so I haven't started my own community garden yet, but I am volunteering for the Covenant Community Garden. It's a great way for me to learn about how a community garden operates, plus the harvest goes to a local soup kitchen. Today I used a tiller for the first time. That tiller was trying to get away from me, I think. Anyway, I also hoed the weeds around the tomatoes. I might be volunteering in the garden every Tuesday morning.

Here are a few pictures:


That's Debbie. She's the one who came up with the idea to donate the harvest to a soup kitchen. Smart lady...and she's always willing to give anyone a ride to the garden. She's really nice.


So many veggies..


The weeds have gotten a little out of control...


The Children's garden..They are growing sunflowers, pumpkins, and corn.


This is the corn field that surrounds the garden. There were two deer running through the field. I ran to get the camera but by the time I came back, they were pretty much out of the picture. You can still see one of them but they are about the size of this comma: , near the patch of brown.


More of the corn field. It is just so beautiful our there. Gosh, I love West Virginia.


This was a different corn field. I was walking down to the garden from where I had parked the truck and just stopped and stared. The wind was running its hands through the corn.



My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.
~H. Fred Ale

1 comment:

  1. What a nice veggie patch. The animated signs are pretty cool too!

    ReplyDelete