Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cabin Fever...C'mon spring!

Well, we've had quite the winter in the northeast so far. I am ready for all this snow to melt and for some green to come poking through. I know the garden is going to be better than ever. It is with every new spring and summer. Expectations are high. I bought lots of sunflower seeds at Wal-mart this past week. I was shocked to see the wall of seed packets. I am sure that everyone at Wal-mart thought I was nuts when I shrieked with joy and ran to the wall of seeds. Oh well. Typical day, I suppose. I bought some old and new hybrids (they were all Burpee seeds). These include:Bold

Moonwalker (new) - pale yellow sunflower. I hope these are similar to the Lemon queens I had last summer.

Citrus (new) - orange sunflower - Looks like bright orange mac'n'cheese colored petals (according to the packet).

Strawberry Blonde Hybrid (new) - pink center fanning out into yellow/white tipped petals

Mammoth (old) - gigantic bright yellow sunflower - everyone knows what these guys look like

Chianti Hybrid (old) - deep red/purple sunflowers - these are those incredibly unique dark sunflowers. They were a hit last summer. I bought two packets of these guys.

Evening Sun Mix (new, but similar to old mix)- yellow to orange to deep red petals. I had a similar packet of seeds last summer with a different name, but I believe them to be almost identical. I can't wait to see how these turn out. Mixed seeds are always exciting because you never truly know what you're going to get. I like the surprise.

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling...throughout winter, I long for the seed racks that show up in the stores shortly after Valentines Day...btw I love the Chianti sunflowers....they are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hia,

    these sunflowers with the blue background of your house look amazing !! I hope mine will grow as beautiful and will spread the same way as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening season is finally here!!! Thank for the comments. And thank you, Audrey, for the compliment. Sunflowers are beautiful in any setting!

    ReplyDelete